Monday, November 17, 2008

A Valuable Subtle Floral Display




A plant like our native witch-hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) is great for the "lifestyle" garden. Admittedly it is easy to be skeptical of the glories of its floral display. On November 13th, as I was walking through the public garden where I work (Kingwood Center) I noticed a slight yellow tinge to a large shrub at the edge of the woods. Closer inspection revealed the witch-hazel in full bloom. The value is in its nuance. Visceral connections to your garden in November may be a challenge, but having flowers, even modest ones, provide a wonderful discovery opportunity, and another reason to be out there in your garden.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree Chuck, sometimes something as subtle as witch-hazel is a delight in November. Especially when it has been unreasonably cold like this year.
Thanks for checking out my IMA blog. I haven't had time to check out many others. Eventually want to include some links.